May 18, 2011

Epic project #1

A few posts ago, I told you I was working on a bunch of uber epic projects. So here ya go!
Uber epic project #1: chair restyle!!

click to make image larger

We found this chair on curb week. (You know, the week when people throw out junk on their curbs? Yeah. That.) Mom, my sis and I were biking and saw this chair. We couldn't just pass it up! So my mom somehow managed to hook it over her handle bars and she biked home with it. :)



One more pic of the rusty, musty, torn-up ugliness, and then I shall tell you how we fixed it!


First I took the seat and back off. Then I spray painted it with primer, and then with shiny black paint. 


              Then I used this creepy looking tool to remove all the rusty staples.


        Took off the cloth and old foam (this part stank. Whew-eee mustiness!)


                                The back and seat, ready for new foam!


I used this special upholstery spray glue, it's made for adhering foam. Works pretty snappy!


          I used the old cloth as a pattern and cut out new pieces. (Note: you really should cut the new piece bigger than the old pattern. Unlike I did. Bleh.)


                             Then cut a bit of foam off so the edges are rounded.


           Now for the fun part! Stapling! You have to make sure to pull the   cloth extra tight on this step. NO WRINKLES!


                                              Adding a bazillion staples. :)


After that was done, I took another piece and laid it over the staples on back. I folded the edges so it looked nice, pinned it in place, and then stapled that on! It made it look much neater. Mom and I did the same thing to the seat part, and then we screwed it back in place on the chair!


Ta-da! I love restyling. :)


11 comments:

  1. What a fantastic makeover! I love the final product - so bright and cheery!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gah! I love it! It's amazing :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you have any awesome projects left? I wanna help with one of them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow that is super cute! Love! <3

    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE <33

    --gracie

    ReplyDelete
  6. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHH!!!!!
    Inna!!! I Love it!! Like crazy!!! :D Super super job girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great find! The redo looks fab!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gotta love it like every other reply! So . . . have you and ur mom ever considered starting a restyling design business? I think you'd do well in the current market. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't imagine how ur mom biked home with it, she is awesome. Now I understand why you're so talented and creative..because youre moms did, its a gift.^^

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!